Monday, November 7, 2011

Test Drives - Schwinn Voyageur as Proxy for the World 24

In preparation for the purchase of a new bike, I did some test riding over this past weekend at Perfomance Bike in Naperville. Yes, this is a plug, I guess. No, I am not being compensated by anyone for this post.

Okay. That said, I have had my eye on a particular bike for a while. I like upright seating - and the most comfortable saddle possible. I DON'T like a bike that feels too "crowded", and I like multiple speeds. I have become particularly attracted to "Dutch" style bikes - transportation, not toys. And the bike I have in mind is close to a true Dutch - the Schwinn World 24 Commuter.

I went to Performance Bike, hoping to test ride the World 24, but they did not have one in stock. What they DID have was the Schwinn Voyageur - same frame, same front end and same suspension seat - so it was close enough to substitute for the World 24.

I rode it and knew - just KNEW - I was on the right track and the World 24 is the bike for me. Smooth, comfortable, easy to ride into a stiff headwind (because of the wide range of gears) - easily a bike I could ride for 20 miles or more at a time. To start.

This is a link to the bike on Performance bike's web site.

This is going to be my 'paved' trail bike. This is going to be the bike that most people who ride with me (IF that ever happens) will see most often. This is the bike that is MINE - and will not be sold. Any other bike in my possession is eligible to go to a good home. Like puppies. Sometimes sold. Sometimes given away. But not the World 24. That's going to be my "Life Bike" - the bike I ride for health and fitness.

Ndinombethe.

2 comments:

  1. @Middle State: I looked for MONTHS - and I selected the bike based on what I had seen on the Internet - and used my experience on a Trek as the basis for what I wanted in a bike.

    ReplyDelete

Real people don't spam. Word verification demonstrates you are a real people.