Monday, September 10, 2012

I&M Towpath Ride

There is a trail along the I&M Canal that runs from Southeast of Joliet all the way out to Peru, Illinois - a run of better that 58 miles.  The surface of the trail is crushed limestone over a bed of clay, so almost any bike can safely negotiate the trail - thin tire or wide.

There are a number of entry points to the trail, and there are mile markers along the way to help you keep track of your distance to waypoints, and the distance back to where you started.

Yesterday, my neighbor and I rode the trail from the Rock Run entrance (Houbolt Rd, just South of Interstate 80 in Southwest Joliet) to the State park at Channahon, IL, a distance of 6 miles.  The trail is level and easy to ride, although there are parts where the trail narrows just a bit and there is a road bridge that the trail goes under (just North of the State Park ar Channahon) that gives new meaning to "low bridge".  Novice riders might be well served to dismount and walk the bike under the bridge.

The trail is, essentially, level - so the challenge to riding the I&M is to maintain pace, keeping your revs (pedal rate or rpm) at a constant pace - and that pace needs to be high enough to represent an "effort".  I rode at 40rpm going out, but rode back at 60rpm - keeping the same MPH but riding back in a lower (and, therefore, easier) gear.

Important things when riding a trail:  Water or other hydrating substance.  Mirrors, to see behind you.  Padding for your bottom.  And remembering where you are - and that the trail is to be shared with others.

Ride Aware.  Ride Safe.  Ride Away.

1 comment:

  1. I don't ride with mirrors and rely on approaching riders to announce themselves when passing... if I had to deal with that along with all the other things I am balancing while riding i would be overwhelmed. But the rest of the tips are valid and I will adhere to...

    ReplyDelete

Real people don't spam. Word verification demonstrates you are a real people.